Tuesday, September 11, 2018

A biting commentary on The Anniversary.

Well, the Big Anniversary...the Bad One...has rolled around again.  We can never forget what happened on that day, seventeen years ago, can we folks?  In New York, in what used to be a big couple of towers, nearly three thousand people, civilian and otherwise, found out—against their foreknowledge—that they had been invited to the biggest—and most unorthodox—barbecue in human history.
But, putting aside all snotty comic innuendo, I should instead delve into the philosophical aspects of the dreadful event.  The apocalyptic attacks at least taught us all sorts of healthy things about ourselves—things that we only forgot later on.  That Day taught us to respect our freedom—which we later forgot.  It taught us to guard the valuable aspects of our land—which we later forgot.   It taught us to better understand each other as Americans, to listen more responsibly to what our leaders have to say, and to not take anything for granted that we still had to our nation's name—WHICH, SURE ENOUGH, WE ALL LATER FORGOT.  What's wrong with us?
I'm sorry.  I've been angry at people for the longest time, just for who they are.  I've been convinced that people are never going to understand me, and that it's something I can never learn to accept.  I've never been a people person; in fact, exactly the opposite.  I just got the idea, from America's attitude a little bit under seventeen years ago, that I could make friends better.  If it turned out I was wrong, and I think it did, I do not want to believe I could be blamed.  I'm one of those who would just like us all to get along.

No comments: