I'd like to share a few memories of Halloween costumes I wore as a kid...and as a little older.
My first trick-or-treating costume, at age six in 1985, was as a simple ghost with the face cut out of the sheet (no Peanuts stuff there). From there, things got a little fancier over the years. The following year I wore a makeshift Superman rain poncho, going practical since in my hometown of Winona, Minnesota it rained practically every Halloween; in '87 was the Go-Bot Cop-Tur (an obscure character which would foreshadow my several costumes of Marvel villains during young adulthood); in '88, after we moved to Santa Cruz, California, I had a pretty good Frankenstein getup.
1989 saw almost no Halloween at age ten, because the Loma Prieta earthquake all but crippled Santa Cruz and all but scarred my psyche forever. Still, I wore a black cape and sparkly gold top hat as a sort of magician. Then as the 90s came on, my costumes really started to delve into popular culture.
'90 gave me a very token Bart Simpson disguise, back when I still watched the show (let's not get into my explicit television attitudes), and I started concentrating on movie-themed costumes from there. I was a Ninja Turtle in 1991 according to their movie sequel of that spring, and next the Terminator at thirteen (maybe a year late, as that was in '92). 1993 inspired me to try a makeshift look of Jack Skellington, who is now a classic character, although my disguise as him looked a lot more like Beetlejuice, if anybody.
I wore one of my proudest costumes to date in high school in '94: The Shadow. Though all black, hardly much above foolish for trick-or-treating, I enjoyed having that one on. 1995 tried a look of "Batman Forever's" Riddler, but it almost didn't work out. My first non-trick-or-treating costume, the next year, was The Phantom (as interpreted on the big screen by Billy Zane), and '97 hit a proverbial gap in the movie costumes, as that year I decided on an anniversary look instead, and commemorated The King's passing with dressing up as Elvis.
I wore a really rag-tag costume that I tried to put together as "Archer" from "Small Soldiers" in 1998, and was a Jedi knight in '99 for the latest "Star Wars." One problem I had in 2000 with a costume as the X-Men's nemesis Magneto was that the paint I put on the helmet myself kept flaking off; otherwise it worked. I almost chose General Thade from version 2.0 of "Planet of the Apes" in '01, but instead decided on a more rad costume that impressed more people: Jack the Ripper, as in the film version of "From Hell." Complete with fake blood across my face.
In '02: the Tooth Fairy killer ("Red Dragon"); in '03, when I visited San Francisco for the parade, Leatherface ("Texas Chainsaw Massacre" v. 2.0); in '04, a zombie (movies featuring those were very popular that year); in '05, Doctor Doom ("Fantastic Four" movie); in '06, the Juggernaut ("X-Men: The Last Stand"); in '07, Michael Meyers ("Halloween" v. 2.0); in '08, Iron Man; in '09, Sabertooth ("X-Men Origins: Wolverine); in '10, my first repeat costume as Iron Man again (as per the sequel); in '11, Thor; in '12, Bane ("The Dark Night Rises"); and my final costume ever consisted of mainly a cardboard machine gun, as Roadblock ("G.I.Joe: Retaliation").
I hope you all have a very happy Halloween.
No comments:
Post a Comment