Sunday, August 26, 2018

On pop stars, pop stores and pop shirts.

Recently I was back in the mall's cutting-edge culture store, Hot Topic, for the first time in I think years.  They didn't actually have anything that I wanted to buy that time, since it was mainly culture that I wasn't currently interested in, or perhaps didn't currently follow, more to the point.  Maybe that's only part of getting older in years.  It's understandable.
Actually, one item I considered buying the next time I visited Hot Topic (current culture of the day or not) was a t-shirt based on the album cover shot featuring Prince of his 1981 opus, "Controversy." I figured it would be another method on my part, having been a Prince fan in my younger years, of paying due, posthumous respect to His Purple Highness.  It's also one of the more potent in impact, I think (I won't apply to it the cornball term "impactful") album covers ever, socially speaking.  Flanked in the background by headlines in "The Controversy Daily" such as "President Signs Gun Control Act" and "Annie Christian Sentenced To Die!" ("Annie Christian" is one of the song titles on the album, and it is calculated itself to be controversial; hence), HPH is specifically striking a look of partly surprise, but mainly indignation.  I've actually had that album on tape for many years, so I would know the social waves not only the cover, but the song content were intended to lash up.
I only hope that the next time I'm at Hot Topic, they still have that shirt in stock, and in my size.

No comments: